Interesting article about black women and their issues with hair!
We aren’t imagining things. We aren’t making it up. I’ve heard the words come out of a many fellows’ mouths and seen their actions scream at me in stereo — I love all black women, just ignore me as I break my neck to talk to that light skinned girl with the long hair.
I know this because I’m the light skinned girl with the long hair and I’ve seen it over and over and over again.
Recently I started dating again to mixed results, revisiting an old problem that just won’t die no matter what I do. But the reality of people treating my hair and skin tone as a fetish object is painfully real.
I don’t like being treated like a fetish. If you think I’m beautiful, great. If you fall in love with me for me, wonderful. But I freeze up with aphrension when a man gets stuck in my hair and can’t get out of it. There’s a difference between saying, “Your hair looks nice today” and saying “Your hair looks so much better than all these other sisters who be wearing weaves.” One) Why do you think it will turn me on to dissrespect other black women in your pursuit of me? Two) What?!
It all gives me flashbacks to an ex who would talk about how gorgeous India.Arie was, but married me. Who would bash Halle Berry and other light skinned people, but would admit that it had been his dream since he was a child to marry a girl with light skin and long hair. That he hated the perm I had then, but then bemoaned my TWA (teeny weeny afro) when I cut my hair off.
“I wish I never told you to cut your hair,” he said, wrongly assuming that I’d gone natural because of his constant psuedo black militant, intellectual banter. I’d cut it because I’d wrongly thought he was the first guy I’d dated who didn’t care about my hair. That I could cut it without fears I’d be loved less or ridiculed as unattractive. After all, the man before him used to sing Hakuna Matada and call me “Mustafa” whenever I wore my hair just wavy. He was so hostile towards unstraightened hair that even an unstraightened perm was offensive. But he managed to outdo the jerk before him with his hair 360 degree turn,I’m no longer attracted to you, garbage.
“Just date the white girl already,” I used to say when I was frustrated. It made no sense to expect straight hair perfection out of me when my straight hair was a pressing comb illusion.
This. “I wish you didn’t perm” & slurrific insults about Africa when someone has natural hair? Basically saying “I wish you had straight hair without perming” Yeah no fuck yooooou
- ky-e-yah reblogged this from peaceloveandafropuffs
- teamocorazon reblogged this from peaceloveandafropuffs
- peaceloveandafropuffs reblogged this from daniellemertina
- nigerian373 likes this
- blackfeminist reblogged this from newwavefeminism
- notyourexpectations likes this
- relivethememories reblogged this from angryraging
- relivethememories likes this
- angryraging reblogged this from newmodelminority
- saturdaisies likes this
- tionnahemcrae likes this
- cocoakiss reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- lolagetslife likes this
- understandingghosts reblogged this from fivelettered
- lilbit530 likes this
- scrapbrained likes this
- modernemeid reblogged this from newwavefeminism
- franticinkjizz reblogged this from foundlovedshared
- twerks4loanpayments reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- toreadorlover likes this
- therodentqueen likes this
- bohemianarthouse likes this
- isitis reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- et2beaute reblogged this from dynastylnoire and added:
- sun-thief-rai likes this
- karnythia reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- joyofbeing likes this
- strugglingtobeheard reblogged this from newmodelminority
- sahteen likes this
- rosemary--and--time reblogged this from newwavefeminism and added:
- country-matters reblogged this from denastixlarue
- ilovedophelia reblogged this from foundlovedshared
- kinkyheadedthoughts reblogged this from newwavefeminism
- atasteoflee reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- denastixlarue reblogged this from daniellemertina
- marfmellow likes this
- mzciarak reblogged this from dynastylnoire and added:
- foundlovedshared reblogged this from newmodelminority and added:
- praisethelorde likes this
- nerdyandnatural likes this
- fascinasians likes this
- dynastylnoire reblogged this from freshmouthgoddess and added:
- norma-desmond likes this
- freshmouthgoddess reblogged this from dynastylnoire and added:
- strugglingtobeheard likes this
- hareehstyles likes this
- pennapieri reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- amaalsdrifting likes this
- freshmouthgoddess likes this